How to make changes in the screen saver javascript

Get help with yoss!

How to make changes in the screen saver javascript

Post by moderator » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi! I would like to explain how to get started with your own screen saver, and I start with the very basics, so here we go:
  1. Start the screen saver and double click its icon in Windows taskbar to bring up the settings window.
  2. Click the button Select javascript to bring up the file dialog.
  3. The file dialog should show you the files in the folder yourusename\Documents\YourOwnScreenSaver. This is where you should store all your creations.
  4. Copy the file javascript.js, paste it in the same folder and rename it to "my_fancy_javascript.js".
    copy_javascript.jpg
    copy_javascript.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 9606 times
  5. Click the button Edit javascript. This should open up your favorite text editor. (notepad++ is a great text editor.)
  6. Do some changes in the file! Easiest change is to find the variable named squareSize and increase its value. Scroll down until you find the line:

Code: Select all

var squareSize = 16;
    Then change from 16 to 64. Save the file.
  7. Click the button Reload in the settings dialog, and then the button Boot the matrix.
  8. Voila! You should now see the screen saver, but with enormous colored squares.
Go ahead and make some more changes. If you copied the file you can always go back to the original file by clicking the button Select javascript again and choose the original file javascript.js.

PS. If you by mistake mess up the original file, no worries! Just erase the file javascript.js, shut down the screen saver by clicking the button Exit screen saver and then start it again. It should recreate the file for you.